Company & Building History
Located at the north end of Long Beach
Island, the small town known then as Barnegat City had
become home for many commercial fishermen as well as a
resort for summer visitors.
By the 1930's the community was growing larger and was
in need of a fire company, possibly inspired by the
Sunset Hotel fire in 1932, so the townspeople began
raising funds and collecting donations for the future
On February 10th, 1937, a meeting was held at the towns
schoolhouse by the 12 founding members, to officially
recognize "The Barnegat City Volunteer Fire Company No.
1, of Barnegat City, NJ" and on February 17th, 1937, the
Barnegat City Vol. Fire Company No. 1 was incorporated
by the state of New Jersey.
the foundation - 1938
Secretary Ole Munch, President Alf Brandvik,Vice
President Henry Erlitz
In 1938, the construction of the two bay fire house began
on the corner of West 10th Street & Central Avenue.
The fire house remains in the same location today, with
some minor changes over the years. In November of 1948,
the community elected to change the towns name from
Barnegat City to Barnegat Light, to associate with the
towns major landmark, the Barnegat Lighthouse. The fire
company also changed its name to the Barnegat Light
Volunteer Fire Company to coincide with the town.
In the late 1950's, the fire house added a 3rd garage
door to the south side of the building to house the
towns 1959 Cadillac Ambulance. The door was later
removed once the first aid sqaud got its own building
just down the street.
During March of 1962, Barnegat Light along with much of
the northeastern coastline was slammed by powerful
nor'easter, also known as The Ash Wednesday Storm. This
storm made the need for a town shelter quite evident and
later that year construction started on a large hall
that was added to the west side of the existing
firehouse. It was orignally built on land owned
partially by the fire company and partially by the town,
the town later deeded the remaining portion of land over
to the fire company.
Also during the 1960's, the companies fire trucks had
grown in size over the original fire trucks of the
1940's. To accomidate the larger trucks and equipment,
new garage doors were added and the existing framework
was raised and widened about a foot in each direction.
The last major change to the fire house came in the
late 1980's, with a third engine bay added to the south
side of the building. The allowed the housing of more
apparatus, as well as increasing storage space.
The fire company turned 70 years old in 2007 and with
the help of its volunteers, hopes to serve and protect
the communities on Long Beach Island for many more years
to come. If you or anyone you know is interested in
joining, please stop by the firehouse or contact us via
phone or e-mail for application information.
The company had raised enough money to
purchase its first new fire truck, a 1941 Ford / Great
Eastern pumper, which would be the towns only piece of
piece of apparatus for the next ten years.
The fire company purcahsed its second new pumper in
1951, also a Ford / Great Eastern which was housed right
next to its predecessor and later the towns ambulance.
By 1961, the companies original pumper had seen 20 years
of service and was sold to make room and help pay for
the companies third Ford / Great Eastern pumper, this
was the companies first enclosed cab truck which made
calls during the winter a little less harsh.
In the winter of 1965, the companies 1951 pumper broke
beyond repair, which forced the purchase of another
truck only 5 years after its last one. Thankfully the
owner of New Jersey Fire Equipment Corp., Ernie Day, not
only financed the new truck, but loaned the fire company
another truck until the 1966 Ford / Great Eastern pumper
was completed and delivered to the fire company.
1976 marked another 10 years since the last truck was
purchased and the company was ready for another truck,
however this would be the last Great Eastern pumper
purchased by the company but it was the first diesel
powered pumper and still serves as the companies 3rd out
In the mid 1980's, the Ocean County Fire Marshals
Office sold their 1968 Chevy Step Van to the fire
company for $1.00. The truck needed quite a bit of work
both inside and out, but with the hard work of the
members and a new coat of paint, the company had its
first van which was used to carry haz-mat and rescue
"Barnegat City" Firehouse as it stood in the 1940's
Although the fire company aquired a van in a few years
earlier, it was still in need of a new pumper. As it
stood, the 1966 pumper was the first due truck, followed
by the 1976 pumper. Despite the equipment being in good
shape, having a 24 year old first due truck was not
practicle. Now that the new addition to the fire house
was complete the company was now ready for its new truck
and in 1990 the company took possesion of the Ford /
S&S Pumper, which is still the companies 1st out
Reliablity is a key ingredant in fire fighting
apparatus, something that the old van which was restored
a decade earlier was coming up short on each time it
A new van would have been perfect, but
of course would be rather costly, so the company looked
for alternatives and just happened to find one in south
Jersey, Millville to be exact, where there just happened
to be a 1985 C-600 Van being sold by their rescue squad.
After the truck was driven up to Barnegat Light to be
looked at, negotiations were made and the truck was
purchased to replace the first van and again the members
went to work on fixing up the new rig to meet the needs of
In 1999, the company purchased another used piece of
equipment, this time a 1984 Chevy Suburban 4x4 from the
Beach Haven First Aid Sqaud. Originally used as an
ambulance, the fire company quickly converted it into
its first chiefs vehicle.
The following year, the company took possesion of its
first pumper that was not a Ford as the prior six had
been, this one being a Freightliner conventional cab.
The truck serves as 2nd due pumper, mutual aid and
forrest fire truck.
The Suburban proved itself useful over its 3 years of
service with the company, but was replaced by a more
reliable and practicle Ford F350 4x4 in 2001.
Barnegat Light Firehouse as seen today.
Photo courtesy of Fred Voss
Also in 2001, the company purchased a Polaris ATV
which replaced the Honda ATC loaned to the fire company
by one of its members. The ATV serves both as a beach
fire vehicle and water rescue vehicle as it tows our
jetski on and off the beach. The first jetski was 2002
Kawasaki, followed later by a 2006 Yamaha.
With the 1985 van becoming less reliable and the fire
company getting more involved with water and ice rescue,
it was only logical that the replacement vehicle would
fit the current demands. The company purchased a 2006
Ford F350 4x4, which has been outfitted with larger
tires to allow better beach mobilty, off road lights for
visiblity on the beach at night and carries equipment
for water rescues, ice rescues, beach fires and small
haz-mat incidents. It also tows the companies 2000 Pace
20' Cargo Trailer to most calls both in and out of our
In 2007, the fire company made two new apparatus
purchases, one being a 2007 Ferrara Spartan Pumper and
the other being a 2007 Yamaha VX110 jetski. The company
was starting its search for a new pumper a couple years
prior as the newest pumper was passing its 5th year of
service, the other two pumpers had already seen 17 and
30 years of service. As luck would have it, the company
came across the Spartan cab pumper that just happened to
fit all of our needs and most importantly was low enough
to fit inside the older garage bays. Once the new truck
was put in service, the 1976 Great Eastern pumper was
soon sold to the Tuckerton Fire Company about 22 miles
away. The additional jetski was purchased to finally
replace the 2002 Kawasaki jetski that was just not
reliable enough for emergency service use. Although we
had the 2006 Yamaha as our primary jetski, having a
backup is very important in a field such as ours. The
2007 Yamaha is a twin to the 2006 model, with exception
to its blue exterior finish instead of red.
The next few years were quiet for our equipment, that
was until age and the salt water started to take its
toll on the 2001 Polaris ATV. Serious rust issues were
showing its signs and research began for its
replacement. In 2010, a Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 was
purchased not a moment too soon. Shortly after its
purchase, the rear suspension on the Polaris failed due
to rust while on a training exercise. It remained out of
service for a couple of months but was later rebuilt in
house with good used parts and still serves as a backup
to this day.
For 2012, the company has already placed an order for a
new enclosed trailer to replace the 12 year old Pace
trailer that was purchased used, over 6 years ago. The
new trailer will be equipped with proper emergency
lighting that the Pace trailer never had, more room for
storage and better ventilation and interior lighting.
For more information on any of our trucks, past or
present, please check the Apparatus
section of the website.